- What did you create, and why? After exploring the Databases, I picked out some articles I can use for a social studies unit on Native Americans. In the CultureGrams database, there is a section of information about each state. There is information on the climate and geography of each state that students could use as we learn about the different regions during our study of Native Americans. For each state, there is also information about Native American history and people (in New Mexico, for example). Students could work in groups to research and share information about different states in each region. I am also looking for more opportuntites to teach my students about conservation and the environment. In the Sirs Discoverer database, I found an article titled "The Wonders of Water" which provides a connection between the Zuni culture in New Mexico and the importance of conservation which students could read during our study of the southwest.
- What went well for you? For the most part, the databases were easy to navigate and search (as well as sort by reading level in some cases). I have used some of these databases in the past, but there is lots more information available in them now than before, so it was easier to find relevant and grade-level-appropriate information.
- What was challenging? I couldn't always find exactly what I was hoping for (sometimes the articles were not at the appropriate grade-level, for example).
- What did you enjoy? Having time to explore to look for information on a variety of topics, rather than just searching for information I need for one upcoming unit. I found a lot more information I could use that I didn't know was available by just exploring. It was also helpful to not only looking for reading materials but think about ways for students to work collaboratively to use and share the information.
- What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families? I can use these specific links for my Native American units, but I also found information I might use for other subjects, such as science and health.
Summer camp is about having fun, learning new things and connecting with friends. That’s what Edmonds Technology Summer Camp is about too! Through a series of creative challenges, you will build your own knowledge and skills using technology to create and share. Join us for a summer learning adventure!
Monday, August 24, 2015
Elementary Databases
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment