Google Calendar
- What did you create, and why?
I created a google calendar that connects to my Swift Site. In the fall, when I create my Google Classrooms, I will also connect them there. Ultimately, the students will have access to them directly from their google calendars on their chrome books. I am really excited about the potential of communicating directly with entire classes all at once concerning assignments, deadlines, etc.
- What went well for you?
I have used personal google calendars for several years, organizing my families busy schedule. I also used the Swift link with google calendars for the past year and a half. I am most excited about the sync between my calendar and my students calendar. If all the teachers use this, each student can potentially have all their assignments on their school calendar every day. No more asking "what did I miss while I was absent?" or "I forgot to write down the homework assignment."
- What was challenging?
Currently, the biggest challenge is going to be keeping track of two calendars. One in Outlook for work, and one with Google Calendars for my students/classes. I wish/hope the district will invest in the Outlook/Google sync option so I can see my work calendar in the google calendar. Sometimes It helps to have everything in one place.
The only other challenges I have are when I first set up my calendar to sync, the biggest challenge is getting it set to public and then attaching the HTTPS: web address to the website. After that, it was all a breeze. I never have to change it again. It is also a bit tedious having to create calendars for each class, but when it comes to adding assignments, the "Copy to . . ." function speeds that up tremendously.
- What did you enjoy?
I am an organization freak. I love to keep things organized in a smart way. I think Google Calendars are going to be a great way for us to stay organized with our students. Now I'd just wish I could sync that with my work calendar, too, and I'd be all set!
- What ideas do you have for using the tool?
I use this calendar daily for each of my classes. I include the general bullet points of the lesson we do in class. If there are book pages and problem numbers, I include them as well. I also include any homework assignments. This is a great way for students, parents, or anyone else to see not only what I am doing in class every day, but they can also see when assessments are going to be given or other class deadlines.
Your students are going to appreciate this as well as the parents. It makes it so easy to keep track of assignments and due dates.
ReplyDelete